Friday 2 May 2014

Roses are red and eggs are blue

I have seen pictures of bright pink eggs  pickled in Beets and wanted to make some for a long time. Beetroot is not a regular vegetable in Shanghai and I really don't feel like spending 50 dollars at the City shop for half a kilo of Beetroot.

Given the circumstances, we can all adapt. And I attempted to pickle the egg in Purple sweet potato, which is soon becoming a personal favorite.



I first cooked a Purple sweet Potato in water, drained but reserved the cooking liquid. The cooking liquid was deep Purple in color.  I put the shelled hard boiled eggs in the colored liquid and set it aside for 2 hours.
And I got a blue egg to fancy.
Cut the eggs in half and remove the yolks. In a separate bowl, mash the yolk with chopped onions, salt and pepper. Fill the cavities with the yolk and enjoy-




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest