Tuesday 29 April 2014

Prawns with greens

Certain days are like today. Days when I want to taste the real flavour of food. So I keep aside the spices or even vinegar and cook simple food with no frills attached.

One of the perks of living in Shanghai is that you can get fish when it is still alive. So I got my prawns today and all the way back home I was devising methods to kill the Prawns. Do I drain the water and leave them to die ? Or do I freeze kill them ? Or do I get a brooch needle and stab them to death ?
The prawns had no clue of my terrible plans so they continued to poke me and scratch me through the plastic bag.

When I got home, I emptied the bag into a sauce pan and there it was, all feeling each other up with their wiggly feelers.
I steadied myself and put the sauce pan on the stove.

It is one of the most unpleasant things I have done ( other than using the train toilets in India) . I did feel upset  but then,  if I can eat them, I can kill them too. The prawns were boiled in salted water, skin and head e tall. Then I let it cool down a bit and shelled them to reveal the bright orange nakedness.



Then I proceeded to heat a spoonful of oil , asking for forgivence all the while. When the oil became hot, I put chopped up greens ( Mustard greens, garlic shoots, pepper, spinach) along with a bit of garlic and ginger. All that was left to do was to add salt and pepper .




The prawns were unbelievably soft and succulent. The flavor was very clean and neat to the palate. I will definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest