Thursday 1 May 2014

Soy Braised Pork Belly

Pork belly is good to eat and good to look at. I buy my Pork from a small butchery run by a smiling young lady and her smiling young man. Every time I go there, they always try to chat to me , of course , in Chinese. I chat with them in English. Actually I shouldn't bother talking to them in English, I should talk in Malayalam. I don't think it makes any difference to them.



For the Soy braised Pork belly we need :

Dark soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Light soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Rice vinegar - 1 tablespoon
Star Anise - 3
Cinnamon or Cassia bark - 2 rolls /2 pieces
Cloves - half a teaspoon
Garlic,chopped- 1 tablespoon
Ginger , chopped - 1 tablespoon
Pork belly cut into pieces - 500 gm

First I prepped the Pork belly by plunging it in boiling water. All the blood and those yucky things can be removed by this prep. Drain after two minutes of boiling and wash under running water. The Pork belly is now prepped for braising.

Pour 3 litres of water into a large sauce pan. Add all the spices and the prepped pork belly and boil for 1 hour. Check often and add water if it comes dangerously low. By the end of the cooking time, the Pork will be coated with a glaze. Taste and add more salt if you need . There is enough salt in the soy sauce, so I didn't add more salt, but feel free to if your salt cravings are more.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest