Monday 20 April 2015

Flaked rice Uppma


Flaked rice Uppma


South Indian breakfasts are  elaborate affairs. That two pieces of silky soft fluffy idlis which vanishes within seconds actually needs overnight workload of soaking the grains, then grinding the grains, then fermenting the grains, then greasing the idli moulds, steaming them so that those fluffy pillows of goodness can be devoured.

I am the laziest bum in my family.
I cant be bothered to do all this work today so that I can have my breakfast tomorrow.
So here is a tasty alternative for a South Indian breakfast,


I learned to make Uppma from my aunt Jayanthi, around the time my grandfather passed away. My aunt , whom I call Jayanthi Mami, volunteered to make breakfast for everyone in the family and I gladly became her assistant.  She is a woman of few words but she is the most efficient woman in my family. This Uppma is a long cry from the traditional one she taught me, but I do remember her in gratitude every time I make Uppma.

This is what you need to make this yummy dish.

Flaked rice  -  2 cups
grated coconut - 3 table spoons
chopped green chillies - 2
chopped carrot - 1
chopped green pepper - 1
chopped onion - 1 large
black gram dhal (Urad dal)- 1 teaspoon
egg - 1
curry leaves
butter , ghee or oil  - 2 tablespoons

Add 2 tablespoons of water to the flaked rice to soften it. Keep it aside while you prepare the vegetables.

Heat the oil, butter or ghee and add curry leaves and black gram dhal. When it browns add the chopped onion and sauté. Add all other chopped vegetables and sauté till soft. Add salt to taste.
Break the egg and pour over the veggies and scramble so that the egg coats the vegetables evenly.

Now add the softened flaked rice, and mix it thoroughly with the vegetables. Add grated coconut, remove from fire and serve hot with banana.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest