Thursday 30 April 2015

Mosaic sponge cake

Mosaic cake which looks like a million dollar baby



I have moved into a new house and brought in my Murphy Richards oven too. Though I miss my own larger oven in my home in Trivandrum, I am quite happy with this oven,

It was raining in the evening and there was a storm too. Many trees lost the weaker branches in the garden in front of my house. I though a cake would be the best thing to have on a rainy day but my pantry cupboard had nothing much other than flour and cocoa powder. So I decided to bake a mosaic cake.
But instead of baking the usual marble cake, I modified the technique and when I turned the cake from the pan, surprise surprise, what a beauty it was.


As I said earlier this cake can be made with the simplest of ingredients.

Cake flour  - 2 cups
baking powder - 2 and a half teaspoons
milk - 3/4 cup
butter - 3/4 cup
eggs - 3
sugar - 1 cup
vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
Rose essence - two or three drops
Cocoa powder - 2 table spoons

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
Beat the sugar, butter and eggs till light and fluffy. Add the essences and blend well. Sift the baking powder and the flour. Fold tablespoons of flour into the butter cream, alternating with milk.
Grease and dust a cake tin.
With your finger tips, drop small rounds of batter into the pan. Dust with Cocoa powder using a fine sieve. Repeat dropping the batter and dusting with cocoa powder till all the batter is finished.
Bake at 180 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest