Saturday 10 May 2014

Steamed Pumpkin Custard with Chia seeds

Pumpkins have always fascinated me. Growing up in farmer household, Pumpkins was a major part of our diet. We ate it as Erissery or Pachadi or even with dried fish. It was always cooked with Coconut or Yogurt but never with sugar or Jaggery.

When I told my husband that I bought a small Pumpkin and that I was planning to make a soup with it, he suggested to look for recipes for Thailand steamed Pumpkin dessert. It involves a lot of creamy coconut milk and eggs, even the thought makes me drool. But I am the sort of person who cooks with what is in the kitchen . I am too lazy to go out and buy Coconut milk.

So I have modified the version to use milk and eggs instead of Coconut milk.
It turned out pretty awesome, so here it is.



Ingredients:

Milk - 1 cups ( you can use milk and cream in 1:1 ratio )
eggs - 2
Sugar - quarter cup or to suit your taste
Cardamom powder - of one Cardamom
Rice flour - 1 tablespoon
Chia seeds - 1 tablespoon
Pumpkin(small) - 1

First prepare the Pumpkin. Make a Circular cut on the top of the Pumpkin near the stalk and carefully remove the lid. Scrape off the seeds and threads of the Pumpkin with a spoon.
Blend all the ingredients except Chia seeds  and Pumpkin in a  blender till the sugar dissolves. Add Chia seeds and pour into the prepared Pumpkin shell.
Pour the egg milk mixture into the Pumpkin shell and steam for 1 hour or till the custard solidifies.
Remove and refrigerate.
Slice and serve with or without Caramel sauce.


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest